Dear Geeks, Gamers, Otakus and all you beautiful nerds,
as promised in our introduction, we are here to help you find the perfect geek match! You are looking for gamer dating, so you can find the perfect coop partner? You look for anime and manga dating? Cosplay dating? LARP dating? No matter what geek culture you believe in, we got you covered like your best team-mate in a round of HALO.
To keep you supplied with geek dating tips, so you can stay up to date on the world
of dating! The posts will include tips on: creating a top-notch profile for online dating,
communication, preparing for a real-life date, and everything in between.
Let´s get started with the first geek dating tip: Your profile picture!
Your profile pic is responsible for that all-important first impression (virtually, that is)—and is even more crucial with the new
Warp Speed Match feature in our geek dating apps!
Link to Android Geek Dating App
Link to Apple Geek Dating App
It might sound harsh, but no matter how much time you invest in your profile description, you’re not going to get anywhere without a good profile pic.
(Note: Our quest is your success! These dating tips for geeks are here to help you find your dream geek and escape single player mode. We want to give you some food for thought, and we look forward to hearing what you think. Is it possible that you’ll succeed by doing exactly the opposite of what we suggest here? Of course. We don’t have a monopoly on good ideas. But just give it a try and see how it works!)
Imagine the following situation:
You walk into a bar filled with beautiful people in the hope of making some new connections. You sit down in the darkest, most distant corner of the bar and pull your hood as far over your face as possible, so you can hardly be seen at all.
You wait for someone to come talk to you. After all, you have so much to say! You have lots of hobbies and you’re really funny. You here to meet people! But no one talks to you…
No one comes to your table and says “Hey there, how’s it going?”
Even when you try to start up a conversation with someone as they walk by, they hardly even notice you…
You leave the bar feeling depressed.
You want to know why? Well, in this example it’s pretty obvious, right? If someone hides in the corner and doesn’t show their face — if they don’t do anything to draw attention to themselves — then they won’t get noticed. And if no one notices you, no one will talk to you.
The same is true of your profile pic!
Tip 1: Only real profile pics stand a chance
“Looks decide if two people will get together; their character decides how long it will last.” It’s an old (and much-debated) saying, but it still holds true, even in online dating. For dating websites, you could put it this way: “Your profile pic decides if they’ll click on your profile; your profile text decides whether they’ll send you a message.”
Don’t get us wrong — we all have our favorite geek heroes who we love and identify with, but you shouldn’t use them as your profile pic. Your profile pic is your personal billboard. The only exception? If your profile pic is so unusual or mysterious that it will make other geeks want to write to you. In fact, the geek dating website g33kdating even requires a profile pic. Why? Because we want to help you
get noticed. So out with the super heroes, the stars of your favorite series, landscape shots, and that pic of your cat:
Tip 2: What makes a good profile pic for online dating?
Now that we’ve covered all that, we come to the question of what actually makes a good profile pic. If you look in the multitude of guides out there, you’ll see that there are as many opinions as there are guides — and many of them make conflicting suggestions.
Most dating tips sites say that the profile pic should be taken from the front, you should look directly at the viewer (to establish contact), and that you should always smile — that makes you seem friendly and approachable. But other guides say that men who look away from the camera and don’t (!) smile get the most clicks. Women, on the other hand, should flirt with the camera, not the other side of the room.
- Ask your best friends which of your pics are good! Ideally, you should ask someone of the gender you want to impress… and good friends should (hopefully) be honest.
- If you don’t want to tell them that it’s for a dating site, then just say that you’re looking for a new pic for Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- While we’re on the subject, which of your social media profile pics has the most likes? That’s probably a good way to see how to show yourself from your best side.
Tip 3: General Tips
- Better camera = better pictures. Easy. You don’t have a good camera? Then borrow one!
- Does your camera have a portrait mode? Use it! It will make sure that your face is in focus and the background is blurred.
- Camera flash: No. Natural light: Yes.
- Use recent photos. Who wants to start a potential relationship based on a lie?
- Upload at least 7 pictures, and your profile will be graced with that cool tile effect on the desktop version of g33kdating. Add albums to display your different interests. Show what you like and what you’re into (cosplay, gaming setup, drawings, etc.). We all love pictures, and you’ll also show up more often in the “photos” category. It’s free advertising for your profile!
- Half-naked in your bathroom mirror, toilet in the background
- At a party where you’re chugging beer like there’s no tomorrow
- While you’re eating — chicken bones scattered everywhere, meat hanging out of your mouth…
- When you look like you could play a zombie in “The Walking Dead,” it’s probably not a good time to take a picture. (Unless of course you really DID play a zombie in “The Walking Dead.” Then you should definitely show it off!!!)
We hope this post gave you some useful tips that will help you meet loads of new geeks on your favorite geek dating site. As we said at the beginning, there is no perfect formula, and none of these tips will work 100% of the time. But we’d really like to emphasize this last tip:
Just give it a try! Switch up your profile pics from time to time and see which one gets the best reaction.